I am reading Atul Gawande's Better: A Surgeon's notes on performance. Gawande identifies "three core components for success in medicine - or any endeavour that involves risk and responsibility" These are: diligence, do right, and ingenuity. Simple.
On Saturday I took my seven year old out for a Pizza. She is overtaking her older sister in the race to adolescence, and even during the act of ordering I did something to annoy her. I asked her how I could be A Better Dad. In the style of Norman Foster, she scribbled all over a serviette, and thrust it at me.
- don't. tell. other. people. what. I. said.
- don't. say. err. in. the. middle. of. the. sentence.
- don't. do. disgusting. burps. and. farts. and. poos. and. breathing.
- don't. tell. us. off.
- don't. make. us. do. work.
- don't. make. us. walk.
- don't. eat. and. slurp. your. food.